Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Rat's Life

The boys have slept it seems;
Their parents voices are hushed.
So I can go fend for
My Brood, without being rushed.

The kitchen smells of foods,
Some cooked and fully eaten;
Other left overs will
Now, the Rats' table sweeten.

I chose from among all,
Crumbs of bitter cake and bread,
And felt scared for I had naught
Of what the Missus had said.

As I romped back to my Den
I saw what Rats dream about -
I saw Cheese, yes Cheese that
Could water my hairy spout.

A Black Devil had it
Within its mighty Black Jaws.
I had to have a plan
To steal it from where it was.

Speed not stealth chose I,
And took a long running start.
My mind was full of cheese,
But my chest pounded in my heart.

I ran, I ran fast, I
Had the cheese by my fingers;
And leapt into the chasm
Of my life where death lingers.

Then I heard the the jaws clasp
So hard it shook the ground.
Not for cheese I thanked god,
But for life that I had found.

I went back home jittery,
The Rats had a wholesome meal;
The Missus and the Brood
United in joyous squeal.

That night I thought of death
And the joy that I had brought.
I couldn't solve the riddle,
No matter how much I thought.

If I should meet Black Jaws
Again, should I steal his food?
Or should I choose to live,
And feed oddments to my brood?

4 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its as different a poem as u have ever written! nice work :)

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good experiment.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Raj said...

mazaa aa gaya..

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

samjh me nahi aaya?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home