Thursday, March 10, 2005

The Dewdance

The Dewdance

The moon shone so bright that night!
The river danced in silver waves;
Leaves were a ballroom of dew –
Pearls of water on grassy blades.

Why stole I when the moon was out,
Inching through the woods I knew,
Stepping softly on stick and stone,
Casting gloom on silver dew?

Was it my husband’s jarring snore –
The knell for the waking mute
Or was it the tendril sound that
Came afar from Kanha’s flute?

Whichever it be, I ran fast
On the stony hooves of love,
Released from the reigns of shame
By an unknown Rider above.

Till at last I reached the place,
The core of sight, sound and smell.
I parted the rushes to see my love,
With the shepherd and his music dwell.

But oh! My dreams just broke and fell
Like a wave upon the shore.
And my heart it sank so much that
It could not plummet any more.

Kanha and eight milkmaids, I saw
Dancing in perfect harmony
With the trees, the flute and the breeze
While clashing only with me.

All of them wanted the shepherd
And grappled with his lotus skin,
But none could leave a mark on it
As Radha pounded from within.

He did not waste upon vagaries
Or groped for a redeeming phrase,
He found me guilty of desire
And sentenced me to his embrace.

He, his flute, his lotus skin
Were hence only for me
And though I danced with eight Kanhas
We seemed just one to see.

Upon his love, his touch, his kiss
I burnt and I glowed
And then like a teeming liquid
I caved in and flowed.

Also flowed that night the trees, the maids
And also all things around these too,
Till at last everything but Kanha
Became a drop of silver dew.

6 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, Blogger reclusive_catalyst said...

Did you write this ? Its beautiful !! So succinct and yet so fluid; caught in the warp of time, yet so dynamic, so moving; the enigma and truth so well entwined. Do you intend to create a ballad out of this...if you haven't thought, I would suggest you do. The Radha Krishna symphony on lines of what you have written would be absolutely marvellous. Well written and keep writing.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Parth said...

thanks. I am thinking on those lines. Thanks for the mindreading. So if u cud be more of a catalyst than a recluse, it'd be of help to me... maybe u cud help me at this with ur view..

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger reclusive_catalyst said...

Thanks for soliciting my help though I don't know how I can help. As much as I know writers, they have quite strong views about their creations and those views are not very amenable to change. Its ditto with me,at least. But still, I would share the little knowledge that I have. I think you would have read "Geet Govinda" either in the Hindi or the translated format. Its a ballad too though, it is a lyrical rhapsody rather than a free verse and the fact that it originates in the romance, the oneness, the all encompassing spirituality but arches back in the devotional solidarity of Krishna. That could be a thought too of structuring a ballad on the lines of origin in material love, its ascent to the spiritual and finally a oneness with the spiritual God. Another thought, and this has no context with GG is the element of pain in the Radha Krishna chemistry. The pain of his liasons with the other gopis, and the pain of leaving Gokul for Mathura, the pain of forgetting Radha when assuming the crown of Mathura and probably the many face of pathos in the relationship. It will give many hues to the relationship, of which you have only pictured the romance and the ecstasy.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Siddharth Nagpal said...

A truly amazing set of poeteries..
It would be nice to have a great poet like you at XL

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Kai said...

nice one...

By the way i also posted a comment on ur last blog...("my liar")...

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! provigil shipped next day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home